How many of you guys have seen this interesting take on sushi floating around the internet? Sushi donuts caught my attention while I was scrolling through Facebook and was instantly interested in them because sushi and donuts are two of my favorite things! Sushi donuts are basically sushi in the shape of a donut with an avocado filling and various toppings, so there aren’t any sweet donuts involved in this recipe. But, what’s great about this food is that there are five different toppings, so you get to try out different flavors on one plate.
After reading reviews online, I realized that it is actually really simple to make! It’s even easier than making traditional sushi, since you’re not adding any fish in the center or using something to roll the sushi.
For more information and inspiration about this interesting food craze, check out BoredPanda.
(Prep time: 10 minutes. Serves 4. Around $3.50 per serving)
- 2 1/2 cups of rice
- 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 1 Avocado
- 1 sheet of seaweed
- Topping ideas: cucumber, salmon, white and black sesame seeds, masago, radish, avocado or cabbage.
- Add the rice vinegar to the rice while it is still warm and mix together.
- Using a donut mold, use any oil and spread around each mold. This would make it easier to get the rice out since it gets really sticky.
- Take some rice and fill up the mold halfway.
- Take half of an avocado and mash it up. Add salt, pepper and cayenne to taste and add some to the center of the rice.
- Fill up the mold with more rice.
- Add your toppings and serve on a sheet of seaweed.