Power up your breakfast with a nutritious, yet flavorful acai bowl! This is one of my favorite things to eat for breakfast because it’s a great way to pack on some nutrients at the beginning of the day. You can find frozen packets of smoothie-ready acai berries at any health food store. I found a package of ten packets of Sambazon Acai at Costco for only $10, which is a great deal. Acai bowls have become a popular health trend over the years and can be purchased at health markets and juice bars. The price for these bowls can get a little expensive, ranging from $8-$12. However, you can easily make these at home with just a few ingredients for the fraction of the cost.
Acai berries are grown in the Amazon Basin in South America and has plenty of health benefits. They are great for digestion, weight loss, heart health and cellular health. Blending them with bananas, spinach, blueberries and milk is great for getting in potassium, fiber, calcium, vitamins A, B6, C and K at the beginning of the day.
(Prep time: 5 mins. Serves one. ~$3.50 per serving)
- 1 cup almond milk (or any milk you prefer)
- 1 smoothie pack of frozen acai berries
- 1 banana
- 1 cup of strawberries, raspberries, blueberries
- Handful of spinach (optional)
- Topping ideas: granola, fresh berries, kiwi, mango, pineapple, coconut shreds, honey, nuts and seeds, sliced banana or dragonfruit.
- Combine all ingredients into blender and blend on high speed.
- Pour into bowl and add whatever toppings you prefer.
And that’s pretty much it! Making an acai bowl is so simple and a great way to boost your energy. What’s great about this recipe is that you can customize it however you’d like. You can use orange juice or coconut water instead of milk for the base, include any vegetables and use whatever toppings you’re in the mood for.